Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Back in the saddle

I now have a better appreciation for rider fitness! After being back in the saddle a week from Hailey's birth, I rode our young horse Hailey's Comet, in the BN horse trials at the CHP starter trials last weekend. Although the weather was a bit hot, I had no idea I was that out of shape! It really hit home how important rider fitness is, for the safety of both horse and rider. Being a bit loose in the saddle, I was sure glad to be jumping under 3 feet. Luckily, our boy Freddie was fantastic. He was solid in all three phases, and it felt great to be back competing. I have also been back on Stewie, and after the close call he had this spring, it was indescribable to look between his ears again! I have sure missed riding Stewie, and am eager to get him out competing this fall.

The girls and I walking the show jumping 


A few students accompanied me to the CHP for a bit of practicing before we head to Fair Hill horse trials in August. Maxine Preston, Allie Mestnik, Eliza Granger, Kim Rushton, and Lauren Hannah all did really well. Mazine, Eliza, and Kim did their first training combined test, and all jumped super. It is so rewarding when hard work pays off, and all these girls have been working!

As usual, the CHP did a great job hosting the show, and I want to thank all the volunteers who came out and helped in the heat! You all are amazing, and we really appreciate it.

Freddie taking in the view


No comments:

Post a Comment